Policy for reader commentary on washtenawvoice.com
The Washtenaw Voice welcomes and appreciates a free, open and civil exchange of ideas, information and opinions on its news website.
We respectfully request that anyone posting comments to stories, or in reaction to other comments, to please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Keep it clean: This is a public forum, open to civilized people who do not appreciate obscene, vulgar or sexually oriented language, no matter how creatively spelled.
- Keep it civil: Don’t degrade, threaten, abuse or invade the privacy of other readers of the subjects of stories. Any racism, sexism or any other sort of “ism” that degrades another person will not be tolerated.
- Keep it truthful and legal: Don’t lie, impersonate another individual or post comments that advocate illegal activity.
- Keep on topic: Stay focused on the subject at hand. Do not post advertisements or solicitations for funds, goods or services.
- Be responsible: Comments are the sole responsibility of those who post them.
- Share your knowledge: Give us your eyewitness accounts, background and observations. If you see an error in a story or think there are issues we should follow up on, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our goal is to maintain a community in which everyone feels free to express themselves, but we also recognize that some conversations following articles on this site can descend into negative sniping and personal attacks. Washtenaw Voice staff may, but is not obligated to, review comments posted and reserves the right to remove any comment for any reason.
We encourage comments that:
- Are “on topic” and respond to the content in the article
- Are responses to comments left by other readers
- Are brief and to-the-point
- Have a positive, constructive tone
- Are open to being contradicted by other readers
- Might disagree with the content in the article, but they do not insult the writer of the article or other commenters
We discourage comments that:
- Are “off topic” or are not responding to other comments or the content in the article
- Insult the writer of the article, subject of the article or other commenters
- Are excessively long or negative in tone
We will delete comments, without notice, that:
- Are fraudulent, unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, intimidating, libelous, defamatory or posted in the nature of a personal attack, or obscene, vulgar, offensive, pornographic, profane, sexually explicit or indecent
- Threaten, invite, or encourage violence or illegal actions
- Are derogatory of others on the basis of political affiliation, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability or any other classification
- Constitute or encourage conduct that would violate any local, state, national or international laws
- Violate, plagiarize or infringe the rights of third parties including, copyright, trademark, trade secret, confidentiality, contract, patent, or rights of privacy
- Contain advertising, solicitation or spam
- Are by commenters who misidentify or misrepresent themselves
- Contain personal information (addresses, phone numbers, etc.)
- The user bears full responsibility for comments posted on washtenawvoice.com if they discover a comment violates these rules. The Washtenaw Voice staff and Washtenaw Community College are not liable for user comments.
Users are encouraged to notify email@example.com if they discover a comment violates these rules. By submitting a comment, the user agrees to allow The Washtenaw Voice to print the username and comment in the newspaper and elsewhere.
The user understands that a violation of comment rules can result in the suspension of the user’s access to post comments to the site, and could be subject to further investigation.
Questions, comments or other inquiries about this site and its contents can be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org