By Derek Patterson
Michigan was represented well at the recently concluded Olympics in Rio. Athletes who hail from Michigan or have a tie to the state won a total of 19 medals this year. Winning 12 gold medals, three silver medals and four bronze medals.
The gold medal winners are:
- Michael Phelps- A former University of Michigan student and member of Club Wolverine took 5 gold medals and 1 silver.
- Draymond Green- A native of Saginaw and former Michigan State University basketball player was apart of helping the USA men’s basketball team take 1 gold this year.
- Allison Schmitt- A Canton native took 1 gold and 1 silver in swimming this year.
- Claressa Shields- A Flint native took 1 gold in boxing this year.
- Emily Regan- An MSU graduate took 1 gold in Rowing.
- Amanda Elmore- A U of M graduate took 1 gold in Rowing.
- Katelin Snyder- A resident of Detroit, took 1 gold in Rowing.
- Helen Maroulis- A Marquette native took 1 gold in wrestling.